SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Corn and Tomato Soup

On Saturday I had one of my very good friends over for a girl's night.  Her and I get together often have wine, snacks and I usually whip up something yummy for dinner, she's a vegetarian so I always make something new for us both to try.  I love eating vegetarian meals!  I saw this soup on Giada De Laurentiis' show and have been wanting to try it for a couple of months now.  It looked super easy to make and looked delicious!

(this picture doesn't do the soup justice, sorry)

Corn and Tomato Soup
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 1/4 cups (1 pound) frozen corn, thawed
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped


Directions:
In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Place the cooked shallots, corn and chicken stock in a blender. Blend until smooth.

Pour the corn mixture back into the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the tomatoes and basil.

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. 


This soup was really delicious! I loved the fresh basil along with the tomatoes and the corn. The only thing I did differently was add some crushed red pepper flakes to the soup, I felt like it needed a little kick of heat.  This soup would be great as an appetizer or served with some crusty garlic bread.

I hope you all have a great day!





Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this soup! So unique. I've been on a soup kick recently with all this cold weather (well cold for us Texans) so I need to try this!

Khala @ The Birdie Bowl said...

This look so yummy and cozy! Love tomato soup so I'll have to give this one a go! Thank you for sharing!!

www.thebirdiebowl.com

Kerry @ Till Then Smile Often said...

Perfect for the cold winter days we have been having. Sounds delish!

Harlynn said...

Sounds and looks yummy!!

<3
Harlynn
www.mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

Angi Solle said...

Stop this looks amazing! I am such a soup person especially in the winter time. My mom always made homemade chicken noodle soup the first snow fall so any soups remind me of when I was younger! I will have to try this out, thanks for sharing!

Angi@ cantbuymelovvve.blogspot.com

Amy Powell said...

that looks like a great alternative to tomato soup! I actually had some girlfriends over for chicken tortilla soup last night. it was tasty :)

xoxo, Amy @ Interpret As You May

Pink and Fabulous said...

This sounds and looks so good! I love me some Giada! I need to make this asap!

Ally Harding said...

This looks delicious!!

Mary @ Eat Drink and Be Mary said...

This looks so yummy!! I hate when pictures don't do the product justice--so frustrating!