SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Homemade Chicken Soup

When the kids are sick, I always make a batch of chicken soup.  I remember growing up my mom always did the same thing, so it's something that goes hand-in-hand to me.

The soup I make is pretty easy and it tastes really good.



Ingredients: 
2lbs of chicken skin and bone in - I used chicken breast and chicken thighs
16 oz of chicken stalk
8 cups of water
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 Chayote (green squash)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 bag frozen vegetable soup mix veggies 
1 bag of Roma blend frozen veggies
Salt
Pepper
And any other spices you'd like


I start off by chopping the onion, garlic and adding it to a big pot with chicken stalk, water and chicken - bring to a boil.  Once boiling bring down to a simmer for about an hour

In the meantime I chop up the chayote 

I take the chicken out, discard the skin and bones and shred the chicken with a fork and add back to the pot.  At this time I add my veggies and bring to a boil.  I love using frozen veggies because they're fresh and I don't have to spend the time chopping up a bunch of veggies.  You can use any veggie combo you'd like.

Seasonings I used for the soup

Season soup and let boil for another 30 min and serve.  We usually make some garlic bread on the side - yummy!

Hope you enjoy!


Ally Harding said...

This looks so good and so easy! I love some homemade chicken noodle!!

Jaclyn Y said...

This is the ultimate comfort food!

Katie Elizabeth said...

Yum! I love homemade chicken noodle soup but making it intimidates me for some reason! This recipe looks super easy though!

Sara said...

Love chicken soup! Might have to give it a try :)
Sara
Life with Baby Sophia

Unknown said...

yum! that looks so good! we love soup!

http://scaifebabywatch.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Delicious!! I'll have to try that sometime, soon! The weather has been freezing cold lately!
I'm dropping by from the Let's Be Friends Blog Hop and I'm looking forward to getting to know you through your posts!

I'd love it if you'd check out my new project, The Awesome Woman Project. I'm super excited about it! It’s all about (re)discovering our spunk and being kind to ourselves. We are so busy being moms, wives, employees, etc that sometimes we forget to take care of us, and we get lost in the hussle and bussle of life. It’s time that we take a little bit of time for ourselves, so that we can be the best women that we can be. Come on over and check it out: http://www.thetriplebslifestyle.blogspot.com/p/redis-awesome.html
I hope that you’ll join us and tell you’re friends about it, too! Be sure to join us on FB, too! https://www.facebook.com/awesomewomanproject?ref=hl

Allison @ Dream a Little Bigger said...

This sounds great and as a Celiac I love that it's naturally gluten free. Thanks for linking up at Link It or Lump it this week!

Linzi Scarsella said...

Chicken soup of any kind always makes me feel better. My dad always made chicken&rice soup, so yummy. Your recipe looks great.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you - chicken noodle soup is my go to when I'm sick!

Khala @ The Birdie Bowl said...

Aren't soups just the best, most cozy thing about the chilly weather?! Thank you for sharing! I need to make this!