SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Indonesian Pork Tenderloin & Garlic Rice Pilaf

Yesterday marked the first day of school here where I live.  I loved seeing all of the pictures of my friend's kids first day of school on Instagram, they all looked so adorable in their uniforms and backpacks!  It made me realize that pretty soon it will be my daughter's first day - ugh, so sad.  I'm totally not ready for her to grow up and be a "big girl" that goes to school Monday-Friday.  Thank goodness I still have some time.  They really do grow up so fast, it's incredible!

Anyway, on to this recipe that I made the other day - I'm not really the cook in my house.  I'm fortunate that my husband loves to cook and does most of the cooking in the house.  Every once in a while Pinterest gets the best of me and I get inspired to make a dish. I found a pin for an Indonesian Pork Tenderloin and a Garlic Rice Pilaf  This pork was AWESOME! My husband loved it, and in my book that means that it was a winner!  The flavors went so well together, and the kids cleaned their plates! It's a definite must try.

Indonesian Pork Tenderloin
Source

Indonesian Pork Tenderloin
1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound)
1/4 cup apricot preserves
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Combine preserves, garlic, coriander, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, peanut butter, lime juice, orange juice, crushed red pepper and black pepper in a small bowl. Whisk well to combine, paying attention to break up the peanut butter.  Place pork tenderloin in gallon sized Ziploc bag and pour the marinade on top. Squeeze out the air, and seal, using your hands to squish bag and distribute marinade evenly. Place in refrigerator and let marinade for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 425. Heat  the vegetable oil in large oven-proof skillet (I like cast iron) over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the pork tenderloin, and sear on all sides, until it’s nicely browned – about 7 minutes or so. Place the entire skillet into the preheated oven, and cook until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees – about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
While the pork is in the oven, pour the marinade into a small saucepan. If it seems too thick, add a splash or orange juice or water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, then turn off heat. Pour sauce over the sliced tenderloin and sprinkle with chopped cilantro for garnish.

Taken from Tide and Thyme

Garlic Rice Pilaf
Source

Garlic Rice Pilaf
2 tbsp. butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 375 F.  In a saucepan or skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic and rice to the pan and cook until both are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup of the chicken broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.  Pour the mixture into a 2 qt casserole dish, cover, and bake for 25 minutes.
After 25 minutes, remove from the oven and stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth. Re-cover and bake for another 45 minutes.  About 15 minutes before it is finished baking, stir in a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Taken from Tide and Thyme

What did we ever do before Pinterest?!


What are some of your great Pinterest recipe finds?  I hope you all have a great Tuesday!